Thematic coursesGemstones and PearlsUnderstanding pearls
Anyone interested in pearls.
- Knowledge and ability to recognize the different varieties and qualities of pearls : natural pearls, cultured pearls, freshwater pearls, saltwater pearls
The pearl (natural and cultured) is a gem which has always been a thrilling material. Born of an oyster it is as diverse as the species producing it and the oceans where it grows. This course will help you discover how pearls are created and become familiarized with all existing species.
DAY 1 and 2
- Introduction to the pearl, species, production areas, pearl gemmology.
DAY 3 and 4
- Cultured pearls ,species, graft techniques, the freshwater and saltwater cultured pearls market.
DAY 5 and 6
- Natural pearls, history and current trends. How to diferentiate them from cultured pearls ?
- Courses and workshops : use of standard gemmological equipment (binoculars, refractometer …), multiple samples observation.