- Gems classification and notion of families
- Study of common synthetic materials
- Study of common inclusions in natural gems
- Minerals morphological analysis using the polariscope
- Refraction and refractometer
- Gemstones observation
- Light, colour, absorption and using the Chelsea filter
- Introduction to natural gems and their inclusions.
- Common imitations and synthetic materials.
- Gems crystal systems and optical characteristics.
- The refractometer and how to use it.
- Pléochroïsm and the dichroscope.
- Corundum (physical, chemical and optical properties, deposits, synthetics and treatments).
- Emerald (physical, chemical and optical properties, deposits, synthetics and treatments).